1.15.2011

On Sanctification Pt 1

Solitude by Marc Chagall
The Inward Life
The unexamined life is a life devoid of the opportunity for true growth, of any true formation of our souls. My desire to look inward, to flush out that which is in my innermost being, begins with a desire to be transformed: to be different than I am today. I yearn to be more like that which I have been promised to become. In the life of the believer these promises hold true:

that we are becoming like Christ
that we will one day see Him as He truly is
that we will one day be perfected as He is perfect

That We Are Becoming Like Christ
On various occasions I find myself contemplating the process of becoming more and more like Christ. Am I truly becoming more like Him? Am I conscience of it? How do I know this is happening? Can I measure it? Do I see the fruit of it? Do others?

One of my favorite scriptures is 2 Corinthians 3:18. There is a beautiful truth and promise contained in this passage. We are being made (daily) into the image of Christ. And this work is of the Spirit whereby the faithful Spirit will complete the good work which has been started in you and me. Philippians 1:6

We can rest and rely upon our conforming because it is from Faithful. Yet, we know that we have a part to play in this process, a role which we must assume and play in the sanctifying of our whole being. We accept the the reality of the Spirit's role in our sanctification but what our role is can often elude us.

Just what are we to do? How am I to be? Am I working in my flesh or am I yielding to the Spirit?

Questions, questions.

No comments: